Be respectful to self, property, and others in the classroom.
Be responsible for the work done in Science class.
Make sure lab area is cleaned up properly. (Failure to do so would result in a lower lab grade.)
Follow school rules of Carter as stated in the agenda.
My main goal for 8th grade science is to better prepare students for their future high school science classes through instruction, lecture/talks, text, labs, technology and teaching of study skills.
Topic will cover areas of Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics. Focusing on the concepts of:
Measurement, Scientific Method, Lab Safety, Inside Earth, Earth’s Materials, Earth’s Changing Surface, Electromagnetic Waves, Solar System, Earth, Sun, and Moon, Galaxies, HIV and Aids, Heat and States of Matter, Classification of Matter, Periodic Table, Bonding, Motion, Forces, Acceleration, Newton’s Laws, Energy, Work, Science and Technology.
This class is a high school credit class. A high school effort is expected.
Credit and letter grade is based on the following: 40% for 1st quarter grade, 40% for 2nd quarter grade, 20% for a cumulative midterm/final.
· Students will be graded on homework, quizzes, notebooks, labs and tests.
· All assignments are given points, the points the will be calculated to an overall percentage, Students will be given the letter grade that correlates with the percentage.
· Students will receive a 49% for homework not turned in.
· Incomplete homework will receive the percentage that is achieved.
· Late homework will be accepted during the first card marking only. It will be accepted one day late with a required parent signature. The penalty will be a drop of 15 percent to the grade. Work will not be accepted after the “one day late” policy. After the first card marking, there will be no late work accepted.
· The percentage (or points) achieved on a test or quiz is recorded as the grade. There is no minimum score.
· Make-up work for assignments given during an excused absence is due no later than twice the number of days of the absence. Work assigned prior to absence will be due upon return.
There is many assignments that will be done in groups however, any student caught cheating on an assignment (any type of assignment) will receive a ZERO. A phone call will be made to the parent or guardian of the involved students.
Failure to follow the rules and expectations will result in consequences depending on the rule broken.
· Fair warning
· Stay after class
· Call home
Percentage of Grade
· Test, Labs, Notebooks, Projects, and other assessments= 75% of grade
· Homework = 25% of grade
· Also midterm and final count as 20% of the final semester grade.
O ~ Outstanding
· active participant
· zero rule violations
G ~ Good
· no more than 1 rule violation
S ~ Satisfactory
· usually respectful
· generally prepared
· no more than 2 rule violations
N ~ Needs Improvement
· regularly needs reminders
· 3-4 rule violations
U ~ Unacceptable
· disturbs learning
· 5 or more rule violations
What will I need for class?
You will need to bring every day:
Notebook (for this subject only)
Agenda (no passes will be given out if there is no agenda)